Saturday, January 5, 2013

Full Review of Momental Designs


Momental Designs

Ended up with a highly unique custom save-the-date flipbook.  However, there were issues with communication, responsiveness, conflicts of preferred styles, delays in project timing, and quality of final products.  Please click on this link to view my full review of Momental Designs. 

Kristy Rice created our custom save-the-date flipbooks.  I reached out to Kristy with my unique vision since I needed to find an illustrator for this project.  She was very thrilled with the prospect of getting an opportunity to make these come to life for me.  Kristy even did a lot of research in the beginning with how to put together a flipbook.  Throughout the creative process, there was a lot of back and forth and opportunity for revisions.  Kristy and her team worked to make sure that everything was in line with my vision.  There were times when we were on different pages with how it needed to come out.  There were some creative differences with the save-the-date flipbooks but we managed through these by being mindful of the budget, etc.  Due to the recurring drafts, I do have to admit that the timeline to reach the end product was much delayed than the original estimate provided. 

Also, Momental Designs does everything by hand so that’s how my flipbooks were put together.  When I received the shipment of all my flipbooks, I was very excited with finally getting these but then unfortunately, I noticed that about 10-15% of the flipbooks were made with poor quality.   The outcome of these 10-15% of the flipbooks was that the spines were not properly glued on, some of them were peeling off, the pages were not flush and even, the spine was not even with the rest of the pages, etc.  In bringing these up with Kristy, she said that the damage must have occurred during shipment and did give me a refund for the amount of shipping needed. 

One of the biggest downsides with Momental Designs is the delayed communication.  Response rates were slow.  It was getting to be difficult to talk directly to Kristy and you’d have to go through her assistants.  Appointments were mixed up, schedules conflicted, etc.  The only way to communicate with them is via email.  There was never a time when someone answered the phone.  You could only talk to Kristy once you’ve set up a phone appointment.  The timeline provided is most like going to be underestimated with a lot more time needed to get to the end.  You need to leave extra time to take this into consideration. 

Lastly, I started exploring the possibility of doing my invitations with Momental Designs too.  While her style of illustration was needed to make my flipbooks come to live, Kristy’s overall illustration style did not at all match with my contemporary vision of my invitations.  The initial drafts were completely not what I had in mind in my vision and were disappointing.  After getting my flipbooks successfully, I decided to go in another direction for my invitations. 

Overall, I am pleased with the outcome of the custom save-the-date flipbooks.  Despite the time crunch, I enjoyed the creative process.  I was glad that Kristy helped me make my vision come to life with her talent.  I will always be in awe of the outcome of the custom save-the-date flipbooks.  They were a hit and are highly unique.  You don’t see anything quite like it around for save-the-dates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment